Saturday, May 12, 2012

To my babies.. From Momma

Hands & Hearts.
"I carry your heart with me
(I carry it in my heart)"
These are the lines I have read often,
while stumbling over my choked words
and incisive need to act entirely composed.

The weight of your heart
bears down upon mine with every breath I take.
Feeling as though your small hands have
reached inside my chest
one on top of the other,
pushing downward
in compulsions.
As if trying to bring me back to life
or to keep me stable enough
to carry the weight of you.

And I would.
Carry your weight,
if it meant less of a load for you.
If it meant that I could use my hands
to pick off every burden resting upon your shoulders.

Your hands are softer than mine,
missing the jewel on your ring finger.
Maintaining a light shade of innocent pink and tan,
smelling of play dough and bananas
and stained by the days adventures
that children often face.

Your hand when placed in mine is much smaller
yet reflects the same desire to be used.
I used these hands in many ways
but never felt true presence
until the ring finger was heavier
and your face rest easily in
the palm of one,
stroking the satin skin of powder and promise.

It is the beauty of having a pair of hands
that remind me of my past,
and to devote my future.
Your hands are softer, your heart is light.
But, the reflection is obvious.
You are my baby,
"and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart,
I carry your heart,
I carry it in my heart."

I realize I stole the words from the amazing E.E. Cummings for this one...but how can you not be inspired by such inspiration?


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment