Monday, May 7, 2012

Accounting

As I near the end of my associates program, I find that I have to choose two electives to complete the requirement for credits. Since I go to school solely online, there are not a lot of options for me. Unlike when I went to an actual university, I was able to choose basket weaving as an elective. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! Basket weaving!! So as I am looking over my available courses, I am honestly looking for the easiest A. I mean come on, I have a 5 year old that needs some extra hard work before starting kindergarten and a 3.5 year old who has more energy than I know what to do with add on a 7 week old baby. So yes, i wanted my summer term to be relatively simple.

I wish I would have researched the classes more ... I chose 2 accounting classes. Naive me.. I thought... accounting... money.. this should be simple. I'm great with counting money! Plus it was also a class that should help me once I enter my Bachelors program next fall. I cannot stress enough how I WISH I would have researched what accounting entailed.

This is the most difficult set of classes I have had so far. It is the beginning of week 3 (out of 9) and I am ripping my hair out. I have been accused of plagiarism on a project that was ALL numbers from a book that the school has been using for 5 years. I of course am fighting it. How can I be plagiarizing anything if I am using their figures? The book gives a set of numbers in which I need to enter into an accounting journal using Microsoft Excel. I then have to perform several tasks with these figures like using a ledger and a trial balance ect. Well if the last 5 years of students have all been given the same figures, wouldn't it make sense that everyone's work would SEEM like plagiarism because of the figures? I do my own work, I bust my ass to ensure I get everything done on time so that I can get a good grade. Sure, I could do the bare minimum because as an old boss used to tell me " C's get degrees" but I want more. I really want to work hard and for a single mom who has 3 kids and a full time job on top of raising kids and running a house. I have managed to keep a 3.63 GPA. Hell yea!! I passed through math classes with flying colors, which in high school I went to a math class once then ditched the rest of the year because I couldn't grasp the concepts like everyone else.

I am so proud of myself for completing (in a couple months) my associates program. I may have been the one out of all my friends to go off and get knocked up and married and missed my young adult years due to running a family but I am proud to be the first of my group to earn an associates degree as well. Out  of the friends who HAVE gone to college (or are in college) I am the only one going into my Bachelors program.

Well enough ranting for now... I have a ton of reading to get done!Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment