Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Photography... By Mark

So my youngest boy Mark (3.5) will be 4 in July and is completely obsessed with taking photos. Of EVERYTHING. If he cant snag my camera, he is asking my girlfriends (his aunties) to use theirs. I am constantly flipping through the camera and finding 20-60 photos he has taken while I was otherwise engaged. He loves to do i while EVERYONE in the house is still sleeping in the morning. I love this about him. I love looking through his "artwork" to see things from his perspective.





Sometimes his photos confuse me... what was he trying to capture? What was he thinking about while he took this photo?






I try to remember that viewing life from his perspective not only means seeing the world through his eyes, but also through his experiences and emotions. And in reality I can only see so much, and for everything else I can only be curious; and I am really curious!






It really struck me: this is how my son sees the world and the things around him; it is how he sees me. It seems so obvious, really. But there was something about these pictures that really brought his perspective clearly into my vision...literally. I am in awe of his ability to create in me such a strong sense of self reflection. Going back through my pictures more thoroughly I discovered something I already knew...I love his perspective. I love that I am suddenly more aware of his perspective in a way that is all at once surreal, ethereal, and grounded, all at the same time. A perspective different from my own. I love that he has this wonderful interest in capturing the world as he sees it. And that he wants to share it with me.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment